No Taiwan ARC? No problem!

If you’ve read my past blogs, you know that I talk about all kinds of random trouble in Taiwan, from banking to shopping to dealing with the government of the ROC.  One of the most common frustrations with people without a Taiwan ARC is hearing the words, “No ARC?  No…no…”  Because of the way Taiwanese bureaucracy operates, most people are trained enough to handle most situations; this means that, because of the ever-present paranoid CYA attitude, most don’t even know how to deviate from the norm.  Most Taiwanese think that foreigners must have an ARC and most foreigners think so, too

Think about it: why do foreigners need an ARC to do things?

I always thought it was to prove the person is a resident of Taiwan.  It’s not.  What is important is your Taiwan ARC number.  Every Taiwanese citizen has a number attached to them, sort of like how the USA has social security numbers.  When a Taiwanese person goes in to apply for a membership card to their local grocer, just like in The States, they’d tell you, “To apply, you must have this government-issued number.”  Foreigners are issued that number along with their resident visas; visitors to Taiwan are rarely here long enough for them to need this number, so this system almost always works fine for almost everyone.

What about the rest of us?

Lots of people visit Taiwan often, but are never residents.  Others spend long amounts of time in Taiwan without having a resident/working visa.  Those people are never issued numbers and they all believe that they are screwed.  They’re not.  Getting an ID number is so easy, it’s scary.

Grab your passport; make a photocopy of the front page and your “stamp page.”  Find the nearest National Immigration Agency Office: the office where they issue visa extensions and other immgration-related stuff.  Go there and take a number.  Over in the stacks of forms, you will see the following form:




Fill this form out.  It will take very little time.  Then, when your number is called, hand that form, your passport, and your photocopies to the person behind the counter.  You probably won’t even have to speak, unless they run a search (which they will) and see you have already been issued an ID number in the past (if you previously had residence) – if that is the case, you still have your original ID number, and don’t need a new one.  In either case, they will print out and stamp a piece of paper that looks like this:



That paper is as good as a Taiwan ARC, in terms of the government ID number but it has nothing to do with the R in ARC – it does not make you a resident – you need a visa for that.  You can use it to do anything that you would otherwise be told that you need a Taiwan ARC to do.  Some people might give you flak for it, but stick to your guns – the only reason people don’t want to accept it is because no one (even locals) knows that this official government service even exists.  This official document confirms that you have a government-issued ID number and specifically states that it is to be used in-place of a Taiwan ARC.

And that’s it – it’s that simple.  It doesn’t cost anything, it lasts forever, and it’s extremely useful for everything from banks to cell phone operators.  I’d recommend this to anyone staying in Taiwan for more than a month at a time; you can save money by doing on money transfers from your native account to a Taiwanese account, potentially saving you hundreds of dollars in ATM fees.  You’ll be able to get a Carrefour discount card (more valuable for those who plan to stay in Taiwan long-term or who return often).  There will be more options to buy SIM cards, as well.

102 thoughts on “No Taiwan ARC? No problem!

  1. Pingback: Official Blog of Joseph Fritzjsphfrtz's How-To Guide to Taiwan Visa Runs

  2. You stated you can use this to do anything you would normally do with an ARC but I’m assuming you cannot work under this number?

  3. also, instead of doing a visa run to HK could one just keep reapplying for visas at this or some other office in Taiwan?

  4. @JMiles

    No. An ARC has nothing to do with ability to work; people are issued ARCs to show their residency (married people get ARCs, but that doesn’t make them legal to work). To work in Taiwan, you need a Work Visa, which also earns you an ARC. The Taiwan ID Number is just an ID number, the same as the number on a Taiwanese ID Card or an ARC.

    • Hi jsphfrtz. I wanted to do some legal busking but was told i needed a ARC. So i was thinking about getting a business name and trying to give myself a ARC. i was going to teach didgeridoo. Its really just to earn some extra cash and to stay longer in taiwan….what would be your advice?

      • i do an UPDATE from my last one…that because seem the TAIWAN GOVT. love to change everything… but… if anyone want to open a Limited Co. as foreigner investor i strongly suggest to consult a good accounting (she/he must speak English very well) and second one big issue was the REGISTRATION of the Company licence address … there are many place called SOHO that you can use like HOUSE and OFFICE at the same time…so that can safe your cost and once more do nt forget this TOPIC … you become OWNER ..but… even AL CAPONE is finished in the jail for TAX ISSUE .. byez!!

    • If you have an ARC based on marriage, you do not need a working permit as it is also an open working permit.

  5. @JMiles

    Two comments on the “visa run” question.

    1. No. You can extend a visa at the office where you acquire this, but your visa has to be extendable; you can not apply for a new visa within any country you are currently under a visa/stamp, to my knowledge. For information on extending a visa, read this:

    2. You should NOT be going to Hong Kong for your visa runs. For my tips on how to do smart visa runs, read this:

  6. thanks i did read your other blog posts on visa runs and they were extremely helpful. My work visa got rejected because I had too many online credits on my degree (15credits too many, 5 classes worth) so now I am faced with doing visa runs but i may also get a student visa and through that get an ARC. Do you have any info on how possible that is?

  7. @JMiles

    Well, back in the good-old-days, you could pay a local school to teach you Chinese and get you an ARC. Often, they didn’t even have classes – they just got foreigners visas. But they didn’t cost much less than an HK visa run would have, and they didn’t last much longer then a standard entry would, either.

    What kind of visa do you have, now? What country is your passport?

    To me, I’ll never have an ARC again, unless I get married. I refuse to let any of these employers have that kind of control over my life. I don’t trust any of them enough to let them have that level of power.

    And, also…if you have a legal job and pay taxes, the government will keep ~6% of your earnings – let’s say you earn $50,000/mo – the government gets $3000 of that. So, even if you only have a 60-day visitor visa, and still get paid $50,000/mo, and simply save up $6000 a month for yourself, instead of paying it to the government, you can easily pay for a visa run like the one I’m about to do next month.

    The reality is, it’s illegal for ANY foreigner to be employed at a kindergarten, no matter what visa they have. You can score 15hrs/wk at a kindi, easy – that’s $36k/mo – many kindis will take you on for 25hrs/wk, which means you can pull $60k/mo. Save a mere $5k from that and you’re now paying for your visa runs, extra medical costs (because you don’t have insurance), and any other random things that legal employment gains you.

    Lots of foreigners work in Taiwan by working multiple part-times. Find yourself three schools that offer you 10 hours each, and you’re scoring the same dough as you would with a single full-time employment (without getting taxed), and if you get fed up with any of them or you have any of them fuck you over…you can just bail and switch gears to the next school. There’s a lot of schools out there that want a foreign teacher, especially for just a few hours, to increase what they can charge for a few classes. It’s advantageous for them, because they can pay you in cash and keep you off the books (employers can actually have to pay a lot to get a work visa, in terms of the visa and in terms of tax liability) but still have the advantage of charging 50% more to students for a foreign experience.

    But…to finally answer your question…it’s not hard to get into a program at a university, and they will issue you an ARC. But, again, to me, it’s all about the money. Granted, a school will give you an ARC for 4-6 months, and you’re getting 20 hours of Chinese classes, which is great…except now, at best, you’re working 20 hours, and having to work around your schooling hours. And with the very common 1 hour in class 2 hours studying, you’re gonna’ be beat. And, the money will cost the same as it would if you followed my visa run strategy.

    For the record, I work 100% legally in Taiwan, as I am employed by an American company (my company, as it happens), with nothing more than a visa-exempt stamp: I’m not a teacher. I just have a lot of experience as one. Are you in Taichung? I usually bill out at $1500/hr, but if you ever want to hang for an hour or two and talk about your options, I’d be happy to give you a free consult.

  8. Great posting Joseph.

    Quick question about one part: “you can save money by doing on money transfer from your native account to a Taiwanese account”

    Do you have other postings on here about this or can you share more details?



    P.S. I have a Bank of Taiwan account and a Canadian ING Direct account.

  9. starting saying sorry for my writing English
    i saw the forum about ARC and i want to write my experience , I’m From Italy and i’m arrived in Taiwan in 2003. everything what i read is true..but…as we say in Italy ” make the law ..found a trick” even in Taiwan there is some other system to get a legal way to stay in TAIWAN.

    every one knows about ARC because that is a WORKING PERMIT …and that you need to found a job…someone hire you…pay for you all the procedure and give an INCOME…most are SCHOOLS that hire people for to teach English and most they prefer mothertoungue people…new law ask also for a degreeinj education or something that justify you are a teacher….but…all other??? and that was me…the “OTHER” im Italian and my English looks like MACCHERONI mafia’s style .. so i have to found an other way … and then speaking with a GERMAN FRIEND …he told me…”IF NO ONE WANNA HIRE AND /OR GIVE ARC….just do it DIY” what is that means???

    first at all the Taiwan law accept foreigner investor for to open your own TRADING CO. and then after you can hire yourself as General manager . also if you are smart and a cool business man and you can run you small BIZ for 5 years…the law say…if you are manager for 5 years and never quit or leave the company you are allowed to get APRC!
    of course nothing its so easy…you need a proceure and a very good accounter… need remit a small capital from OVERSEAS ..whatever you mom or dad can send you money in Company Bank account.

    APRC has no EXPIRING DATE just you need to live in TAIWAN for 185days at year…but if your intention is to live here…think about….maybe is a better way ..and no scary for your FKG boss…use the ARC for let you work like a damn slave…if u wish to know more..i can help you…write to my email Mr.Roberto

  10. THANK YOU…actually i have my own APRC from 2010 and i can work legaly everywhere and anywhere as i like as i want…because i’m selfemployed and i offer to the company TAIWAN RECEIPT and i pay by myself my TAX … ofc seem easy…but i dont hide there are cost and issues to solve…but no so pain like to be employed in a school with a terrible boss!

  11. Pingback: Joseph Fritz's BlogMoving to Taiwan: Avoiding Disaster

  12. Pingback: Scooter and Motorcycle – Paperwork | WhoLeave

  13. I am in Taipei and went to get an ID number yesterday. At first I went to the Bureau of Consular Affairs as suggested in your post, but they told me that I had to go to the National Immigration Agency in order to get an ID number. Luckily the Immigration office was not very far so I was able to make it there on the same day.

    As you said in your post it was surprisingly easy to get. No questions asked from the clerk and it took less than 10 minutes total (including filling out the form and making copies of my passport).

    They just give you the ID number on a piece of A4 paper (as in your picture), so I went to a professional print shop just around the corner from the immigration office to have it laminated. It looks nice. I feel nice and legal now.

    Thanks for your blog post on this. 🙂

    • Hey Dave!

      I would tell you that yes, you can…but a lot of it depends on who you wind up talking to.

      Take a look at my other blogs about Taiwan’s DMV (or about ChinaTrust banking) and you will see what I mean.

      You can seriously call them five times and hear five different answers, then go in and hear a completely new one. Your best bet is to stay calm, bring a Taiwanese person, and continually escalate it until you find someone with enough authority who isn’t afraid to actually make a decision.

      Taiwanese are decision-paranoid. They avoid responsibility at all costs. That means that, unless you place the same order as everyone else, be prepared for the entire mechanism to break, the minute you try to do something out-of-the-ordinary.

      That won’t mean that it can’t be done, nor even that it’s difficult to do. It’s simply that the knee-jerk reaction of Taiwanese people to their internal “I’m not sure of the answer to this question” is “no.” You will always hear “No, you can not,” and never, “Hmm, let me go check if we can.” You will have to tell them to go check, after they tell you “no.” And then potentially do that a half-dozen times before you find someone who can actually do some critical thinking and not act like a Borg drone.

      Good luck!

      Let me know if it works out for you, if you would; I always love new information. 🙂


  14. Pingback: Taiwan Work Visas: Pros and Cons |

  15. Hi Joseph! Your blog is a life saver 😀 I already got my ID number from the National Immigration Agency (1floor, N15, Guangjhou Street, Taipei. Xiaonanmen MRT) and I now want to open a bank account. I am kind of scared that if they see that every month I get the same income, without an ARC will get suspicious and tell the police (since they have my passport number and address). Am I freaking out or is it possible?
    Thank you,

    • Hi Mary,

      Thanks for the love!

      In terms of banking, it’s the same as it is in any other civilized nation: if your bank volunteers client information to the government, clients can sue them, so banks don’t do that. If a bank was known for voluntarily reporting client transactions to the government, that bank would go out of business really fast.

      Beyond that, it’s not like there’s people plowing through transaction records looking for people committing fraud, especially in the amounts you’re talking about (if they did, almost every person in Taiwan could be indicted for some kind of unreported income). And it’s not like banks say, “Any time a foreigner starts getting regular deposits, we need to look into their work status.” That would be insane.

      It would also go against every vested interest they have: they are in the business of keeping money in the bank, not forcing it out of the bank (especially since they make more money on foreigners, thanks to their frequency of foreign money transfers). HSBC is the largest money launderer on the planet and they operate with virtual impunity.

      I’ve never feared Taiwanese bank collusion nor corruption – only incompetence. 🙂

      Good luck getting the account!


  16. Hey, I done this in Taichung this morning and it really was super easy, thank you. Does anyone know if this can be used to take a 51-250cc motorbike test also? Thanks in advance

  17. Everything worked alright! They asked what kind of money I would put, if it was a permanent residence but in the end, I opened the account.

    Thank you!!!

  18. Hi Joseph,

    Thank you for your great blog 🙂

    Maybe I am asking the same question, but still I would like to ask it (again) if I may.

    Let’s say I got hold of an ID-number. Is this ID-number the same as an Social Security Number which basically means that I am eligible to work in Taiwan?

    Thank you in advance.

  19. Pingback: What It's Like Living In Taiwan Without Health Insurance

  20. hi, need some good advise on visa problem. i used to work in a tawanese company but due to the salary problem i quit the job and i report to the government for giving low wages. when gov. ask for certain documents including when i started working. they found out that i was working before i got the work permit whice i was not aware of. now they kick me out from taiwan for working elligal. i have my lovely gf in taiwan and i have good offers for job in taiwan company but i cannot go back and work beacuse of visa problem. can anyone help me how to clear this problem.

  21. Can I transfer a scooter to my name with an ID card? The original owner is leaving the country and my ARC hasn’t been processed yet. I saw the comments that say I can get a scooter license, but what about owning one?

  22. Thank’s I’m gonna apply for it tomorrow. Do you know if I can get an internet connection to my apartment with this ID? Because I heard I can only get it with ARC.

  23. thanks a lot for the info! i just got the ID paper..within 10 mins! its easy..

    Btw, here is my story… i am working for a China company. I got my work permit from the Ministry of Labor, but for some reason, after i reached Taiwan and went to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taipei to get my extended Visa (Which is required to apply ARC), i got rejected. They did not disclose the reason. For the next 3 months, i had to do the visa run (going out and reenter every 30 days) and tried again after 3 months. It got rejected again. Got kinda disappointed and devastated with the rejection. So with this blog entry, i finally get an ID and can open a bank account, buy stuffs, get groceries membership cards, etc, etc…

    I dont know wtf wrong with Taiwan gov, they gave me working permit (that is why i decided to come to this country to work) and then they rejected my VISA(for ARC) twice… anyone having the same experience to share????

    • did you get any stamps for OVERSTAY? where do you come from?? some countries are not so “welcome ” in Taiwan…! and last question without any raciscm feeling are you a black skin? very sorry for this questions…

  24. Hi Roberto,

    I am a Chinese Malaysian guy. I came from Malaysia and i do looks like your regular Taiwanese (same skins color, same eyes, same hair).

    My occupation? I am a professional semiconductor engineer. I’d worked in Malaysia, California (USA) and Singapore without any issue.

    I accepted this job because i love travel to new country and work + live + experience. I quit my previous job (which is a very good international company), just to try Taiwan. But i am very frustrated because they reject my VISA/ARC application and would not tell me the reason. Is there any legal way i can appeal or raise my issue? There is another friend/colleague which came together at the same time with me from Malaysia, and his application got rejected too. So, we are very sure its not something personal.

    I am regular normal good guy (no criminal records, no nothing, no OVERSTAY, etc).

    Now, i’ll just have to wait another 3 months and try apply again 🙁


    • ok.. looks like something wrong walk beside your situation…let me tell you something..maybe can help you…in Taiwan there are some office that provide help for foreigners to run ARC ..most of this are for PHILIPPINES and INDONESIAN blue collar,…BUT…they have a wide experience for to open and run the ARC ! so let me suggest to ask them and see what and why have so many troubles

  25. Hi Roberto,

    I had a look at the comments but couldn’t find a clear answer. Would it be possible to transfer a scooter into my name with this ID in lieu of an ARC?



  26. Hi Mike,

    I have the same problem with you as well last time. I get the work permit from Ministry of Labor but got rejected for the ARC in the immigration which means that I am legally to work in Taiwan but can’t stay in Taiwan @@” with no reasons. Very troublesome…but after I change another employee and its approved for both work permit and ARC.

    Just wanna share since we have same experience.

    Good Luck.


  27. Hi! I’ve had an ARC and work permit for two years so far. I have three years to go before I might get an APRC. In order for me to imagine a future here, I need to find something other than teaching. I have just a little idea to import things to Taiwan and sell them here….. Of course, this is just an idea at the moment. Should I wait three more years, work towards an APRC with the security of regular money coming in or should I start to get the ball rolling? My thinking was that I could start by setting up a small Facebook page with delivery services. I’m just concerned that this isn’t legal? Thoughts anyone?

  28. Hello, I have seen this question posed above twice but no answer… I’m trying again 🙂 Does anybody know if I can buy a scooter or car with this ID number? Thank you!

  29. think someone answered you already…in Taiwan you can drive a 50cc without an ARC , but, this agreement must be agreed between your own country and Taiwan… you need an ARC for to drive a 125 cc after a drive test ..or..if there are between your own country and Taiwan an agreement..(I’m from Italy) and my country and Taiwan have this agreement

    1. Subject:
    1.1 A foreigner never granted a uniform ID number in need of one to open a bank account, pay tax, apply for national health insurance or apply for ROC driver license.

  30. Pingback: Take me, Taiwan? | The Rheuma-tortoise

  31. If we dont have ARC, do we need to pay tax? Please help on this question. Very worry about the tax thing.

  32. Hello,

    I’m a Canadian living in Taiwan. I moved here in 2011 and have been doing “visa runs” every 90 days in the past 2.5 years. I just realized a month ago (!!!) that as a Canadian, I might be able to extend my visa-exempt stay in Taiwan for another 90 days (free of charge). I was wondering if this would be an easy process, as I have all those entry/exit stamps from my visa runs in my passport. Should I just forget about getting an extension and do a visa run instead? If they did grant me an extension this time, how likely are they going to grant me another one next time?


    • Hi Sandy, I’m a British citizen so I qualify for that extension too. I just went and did it for “tourism purposes” at the BCA. If you read the conditions on the website, they do say they will reject it if you have already spent 6 months of the past year in Taiwan, or something like that.

      Also for anyone who wants to go apply, I discovered a few inconveniences not mentioned in the website’s Word (seriously?) document…
      The form they link you to and ask you to bring to the bureau is the wrong form. You need to fill out the “general visa application for foreigners” (something like that) online and keep the reference number, or they will send you away to do it.
      They told me it normally takes three days to process (stamp your passport again!) even though the website only says to apply within thirty days before your visa-exemption is due to expire, so if your visa-exempt stay period ends sooner, you might have to pay for priority processing. She mistakenly quoted me 800 NTD before she realised I still had three business days.
      If you are extending your visit for the purpose of tourism, they will ask for financial statements, even though that is not clear on the website.
      Another point is that they hold on to your passport for three days to process the extension. I gave it to them but I have had bad experiences in other countries and get anxious for doing so. I now have a photocopy and a receipt with a number on it to exchange for my passport.

  33. Hey I maybe like asking the question for a third time. But I really want to know if this supposivley, “can do everything an ARC can do.” Why couldn’t you purchase a motorcycle it scooter with it?

  34. Your insights on Taiwan are really helpful. Thank you. I wanted to ask if I am able to purchase a scooter legally using the document above instead of the arc? Thanks in advance.


  35. Hi Joseph,

    Can the above method allow me to buy a scooter and rent a place in Taiwan? I am Canadian so I already have a 90-day visa thingy on arrival. It would save me a bunch of paperwork if the above method works..

    • hey nick did you have any luck with buying a scooter without ARC if so any ideas? any hints would help me since ill be in Taiwan in January..Thanks buddy

  36. Hi Just to check with you is it necessary to have a degree to apply for a job in taiwan and apply for a work permit? sales job also need degree ?

  37. Hey,

    Just a quick question.. On the Application form, what should I write in the “Statement of Authorization” part? (Agent’s name?Signature of Agent etc?

    Also, I am from South Africa and I can’t find a way to send my money to my South African account. Does Taiwan have like internet banking or can you give me any advise?

    Would appreciate your help.

  38. Hi,

    This is great information.

    If I obtain an ID number, does this pose any possible complications if I later apply for a work permit and ARC?



  39. I do have a motor driving license (international) that’s valid in Taiwan. I travel every month, so that license is enough for me. To rent a proper motorbike is difficult in Taiwan (+300cc), but you can buy a Yamaha MT-03 for 228k, which I think is nice to have in Taiwan. Can I register this without ARC, but with Taiwan ID number?

    Question has been asked so many times I see, but still nobody knows the answer I think 🙂

  40. Steve, I believe when you get an ARC later they will juts use your existing ID number on your ARC. So there won’t be a problem.

  41. A few things in case it helps anyone:

    1. If you want to buy a vehicle (regular scooter for example) you cannot do this legally with an ID number only. You need an ARC. Or you can get a Taiwanese friend to put it in his/her name.

    2. Electric scooters do not have licence plates so anyone can buy them and you don’t need a licence to ride them. But make sure you buy a good U-lock because people want to steal these (no numberplate, easier to steal). Since I got my lock I’ve had no problems.

    3. I just used my Taiwan ID number to get a Carrefour card at the store near Shijia station in Kaohsiung. Took 45 minutes, but no problem. My friend managed to get a card at the same store with her passport only (but to do this she had to get really angry and tell tell she wasn’t leaving until they gave her a card!)

    4. For information about the work law for foreigners (this is not the same law for Filipinos working in factories etc, I don’t know anything about that) – see the Taiwan foreign work law page
    You can only come here to work if you’re doing a job that Taiwanese can’t do like teaching English, OR if a company arranges the work for you because you have a special skill they need. You can’t just turn up here and get any old job like a job in sales or something.

  42. May I ask if anybody has opened a bank account using the ID number within the last 3-6 months? This thread started some 3 years back….. Hopefully someone can post some positive results to keep this method going… Many thanks to Joseph!

  43. Hi Martin,

    I have been able to open an account very easily within the last 3 months. Most of the big banks were OK with offering a basic account. I went with DBS simply because they are in my neighbourhood. They all told me that International transfers in TWD are not possible until I have my ARC.

    Hope this helps.


  44. Does this ID give me the right to stay in Taiwan after my 90 days is over or do I need to do visa runs? Thanks Rob

  45. I’d like to bring an important UPDATE of my old post dated June 2, 2013 , after that many people contact me for to ask questions about OPEN A COMPANY in TAIWAN. Before everything let me tell you something …when you arrive in this country you must answer to yourself a question…. WHY I CAME IN TAIWAN? WHAT I CAN DO IN TAIWAN?

    1) if you are here for meet girls or boys …and enjoy the life for fun …will be very hard to get an ARC for work purpose . maybe its better you marry someone and you will get it!

    2) if you come here for to learn Chinese … many universities offer an ARC for study ..and you can get a legal document for all topics…SCOOTERS , RENT HOUSE…ecc. ecc.

    3) if you come in Taiwan because you are escaping from your country …well….its not matter where you are and where you go…someone will catch you easier with an ARC .

    4) if you come for work in Taiwan and hope to get your own working permit…i must be honest and sincere ….13 years ago was hard for foreigners to get a legal documents, after the new laws change the topics about EDUCATION and TEACHING …many foreigners leave Taiwan because they don’t have a Degree ,Bachelors degree , tesol ,tesl, and all PAPER that prove you are a TEACHER …
    Many schools closed also because fake teachers with fakes documents show illegal degree .. and then think..this country is a deep CONSERVATIVE and TRADITIONAL storm brain…companies , manufactures , trading companies .. LOVING to hire SLAVES ….working 12 / 16 hours and be paid for only 8 hours!! are you available to accept it? white people like western will be never hired in this Co. because of high wages and many issues about POWERING and CONTROL.. so think deeply about!

  46. 5) are you arrived for to run business…this my UPDATE …in 2005 when I opened my own Co. was laws and rules that now are changed. So if you really want to run a company my own suggestions is… CHECK very careful if your idea will match the needs of buyers …and also think if in this country will be successful for your business instead of CHINA or INDIA .

    and then if this idea still in your brain.,.. you can find an ACCOUNTING with a very good speak English ..she/he will drive you in the messy world of paper and documents , fees and taxes. GOOD LUCK .


  47. I was at the Bureau of Consular Affairs but they told me I need the National Immigration Agency instead. Lets see how that works out.

  48. Hi @jsphfrtz

    I am planning on a trip back to Taiwan with my fiance. I had a Taiwan ARC several years ago and a scooter license. I want to rent scooters when I visit, so I think I will apply for a new scooter license. Can I use my expired ARC when applying for a Taiwanese scooter license? Or will I need to apply for a Taiwanese ID Number? Or do you think I could rent a scooter with an expired scooter license from seven years ago?


    • in Taiwan , there is a basic rule for country’s reciprocity that means : ” CAN A TAIWANESE WITH HIS OLD EXPIRED ARC APPLY FOR A SCOOTER LICENSE IN YOUR COUNTRY ? if YES you can do too

  49. Dear Tim…my answer is NO…you can’t transfer it wiuthout arc or aprc .because not only the proprety but also the insurance of it…

  50. Hi,wanna check if I can still apply for this ID number and use it to open a bank account and get a cellphone number without having to keep topping up my prepaid card?

  51. Great and very helpful post. I followed your tip, and got one without difficulty.

    However I’d like to note a limitation of this type of ID number. The format is different from a regular ID number.
    Regular ID: Letter + 9 digits
    This ID: Two letters + 8 digits

    For example, on Amazon, if you select Taiwan for delivery, they provide an ID number field, which they say will speed customs clearance. But the field will only accept the letter+9 digits format, i.e. my ID number won’t work.

      • Hi Roberto,
        I have my fiancee and my baby in Taiwan , she is teaching in one of the school in Tamsui. At the moment I am with them with a 30 days visit visa . How can I make my stay longer here in Taiwan with out getting an ARC . thanks and regards.

    • Amazon asks for it to speed up customs, but it doesn’t require it, does it? Did you still receive your package from Amazon?

      If anyone finds other limitations based in the number/letter issue, I would love to know.

  52. First, a big thanks to the OP (and blog owner I assume)… question, in the address and phone section of the ROC record of ID application, should one put one’s home country and cell phone info? I ask because I’ll be doing this (hopefully opening a few local plain Jane savings accounts for offshore savings purposes) as a tourist and my local address will be a hotel and I don’t have a local number.

  53. Just wondering if people could link the banks they successfully opened a bank account with? Ill be doing this in the coming months in October.

    Thanks very much guys!

  54. Hi! Im from the phil. We are currently visa free for 14days, can i use this paper for me to stay longer in taiwan? Thanks

  55. Helo i just want to know if this taiwan id number can be used of giving birth in taiwan because i just have only a visitor visa?

  56. Pingback: Anonymous

Leave a Reply